Fire protection should always be considered within any building. At Glass Partitioning UK, we offer a range of fire rated glass partitioning systems and fire screens to suit even the most stringent of environments. Our expert team have detailed fire safety knowledge and are on hand to walk you through the process of selecting the best system to protect your space and staff.
Many glass partitions don’t actually need to be structurally fire rated according to UK Building Regulations, however, it’s always important to check if you have any doubts.
Can Glass Partitioning be Fire Rated?
In short, yes. The legal level of fire safety your space requires will ultimately come down to a Building Control Office (BCO) and your building’s regulations, however, our experienced team is available to help point you in the right direction.
In general, certain areas will require more safety protection than others. These tend to be frequently used corridors and escape routes, just to name a few. Once installed, our fire rated glass partitioning systems can offer spaces with a maximum protection of 60/60, should the unfortunate event of a fire occur.
How Does Fire Rated Glass Partitioning Work?
The classification of a fire and protection against spread can be split into two sections:
- Fire Integrity – This refers to the ability of the glass partitioning to act as a barrier. It will help to stop the progress of the fire, as well as minimise the level of smoke and other toxic gases it emits passing from one side of the glass partitioning to the other.
- Fire Insulation – As the name suggests, this is the ability of the glass partitioning to restrict smoke and heat from the fire passing through the pane of glass. Fire insulated partitions will be able to tolerate high temperatures.
These classifications will be listed in terms of minutes of integrity/insulation. For example, 30/30 would suggest the partition provides 30 minutes of integrity and 30 minutes of insulation. This is our standard recommendation.
Protecting Your Space
If you want to ensure your space and the possessions and people in it are protected and are considering fire rated glass partitioning to help, we advise you get in touch with our team. We can discuss your options further to ensure you are providing the best fire safety within your building.
Once you’ve contacted the GPUK team, we will go through the following steps:
- We will advise you to get in touch with your building’s control officer to establish the level of fire protection you require, or, if you’d prefer, we can do this for you.
- From this, a decision can be made of the level of fire protection required. This will be based on the design and purpose of your area.
- We will specify a suitable fire rated glass partitioning and send our dedicated fitters to install the system so you can rest assured your workplace is protected.
To discuss your options further, please don’t hesitate to contact a member of the team.